Richard Moxley is the founder of The Credit Game, an organization helping Canadians improve and fix their credit scores. He is a best-selling author and recently published The Credit Game: Rules Every Canadian Must Know to Win. He began his career as a mortgage agent before transitioning to help people get out of debt. Richard is a sought-after professional speaker and has been featured in The Globe and Mail, CTV, Global TV, and CBC Market Report. He was the Financial Literacy Leader of the Year in 2015 and 2016 and studied finance and economics at Mount Royal University.
Richard joins me today to explain how you can win at the credit game – and have some fun along the way. He shares the basis for his recent book and highlights why it is vital to continue to learn about your finances. Richard shares why you should take responsibility for your credit report and how you can get a free copy of your credit file. He highlights the factors that affect your credit score, who might use your credit score, and why your score may fluctuate or change quickly.
“The credit score itself is just a by-product of what is happening on your credit report.” – Richard Moxley
This Week on Young Money:
- The inspiration for writing The Credit Game
- Putting a focus on the action steps to take to always have good credit
- Why continued learning about finance is vital
- How Equifax and TransUnion create credit scores
- Why you should take responsibility and check your credit file
- How to get your credit report
- How active credit, credit limits, and keeping a balance/debt affect your score
- Who uses your credit report, including those you wouldn’t expect
- Why your credit score fluctuates or changes quickly
- Your credit score is just a by-product of what’s happening on your credit report
- Try not to focus only on the number
- It is important to fix any errors on your credit report
- Know that it is your responsibility
- Your credit score moves and changes
Connect with Richard Moxley:
- The Credit Game
- The Credit Game: Rules Every Canadian Must Know To Win
- The Credit Game on Facebook
- The Credit Game on Instagram
- The Credit Game on Twitter
- The Credit Game on LinkedIn
Rate, Share & Inspire Other Young Millionaires-in-the-Making
Thanks for tuning into the Young Money Podcast – the advice show for young millionaires-in-the-making! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to Apple Podcasts and leave us a rating and review. Visit our website to learn how easy it is to leave a review on Apple Podcasts.
Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes on social media!