Kelley Keehn is a personal finance educator, speaker, media personality, and a bestselling, award-winning author of ten books, including her newest book, Talk Money to Me, available in bookstores on December 17th. Kelley is the Consumer Advocate for FP Canada and serves on several non-profit boards and government committees. She was the host of W Network’s Burn My Mortgage and the personal finance authority on The Marilyn Denis Show for seven years.
Kelley joins me today to share her inspiration for writing the Talk Money to Me book. She explains the reasons why financial literacy is still a problem in Canada and shares how social media creates false economic perceptions. Kelley shares several money-moves that everyone can make to increase their financial fitness. She also highlights financial mistakes to avoid and how slowing down your decision-making process on big purchases can help you make better choices.
“Understanding that your ability to earn an income in your life is the most valuable asset that you have. ” – Kelley Keehn
This Week on Young Money:
- How a drive to help Canadians feel good about money inspired Kelley to write the Talk Money to Me book
- Three reasons why financial fitness is still a problem for Canadians
- How social media creates false financial perceptions of others
- The philosophy of ‘what you appreciate, appreciates’ tactic in your finances
- The financial moves to make before you start to save
- The financial missteps and irrational money moves to avoid
- Slowing down your buying-decision process to avoid making mistakes
- Cultivating a balanced approach to being happy and wealthy
- Shut out the noise of social media and comparisons to others.
- Think about financial management as a daily commitment – it is not a one-time thing.
- Stop and think before making big purchase decisions.
- Understand that your self worth does NOT equal your net worth.
- EP036 Kelley Keehn with 5 Ways We Sabotage Our Finances
- FP Canada
- Financial Planning for Canadians
- Wealthy Barber
- EP059 What is insurance and Why do I Need it with Deborah Williams
- EP025 True Cost of Car Ownership
- EP029 Buying vs. Leasing a Car
Connect with Kelley Keehn:
- Kelley Keehn’s Website
- Talk Money to Me
- Kelley Keehn on Twitter
- Kelley Keehn on Facebook
- Kelley Keehn on Instagram
Get Your Young Money Questions ANSWERED!
Want to learn more about how you can stay financially fit or share a question about money? Leave a voice message to get all of your Young Money questions answered.
Remember – there is no silly question when it comes to your financial fitness.
Rate, Share & Inspire Other Young Millionaires-in-the-Making
Thanks for tuning into the Young Money Podcast – the advice show for young millionaires-in-the-making! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to Apple Podcasts and leave us a rating and review. Visit our website to learn how easy it is to leave a review on Apple Podcasts.
Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes on social media!